Aug 30 , 2021
Top 5 Reasons Why Chocolate Is Good For You
Yes, that’s right!! I say this with my head and my heart in their right place….read along to know why!
Listed below are some of the many reasons why moderate consumption (around 40gm) of chocolate has actually shown to have positive health benefits.
1. It is an excellent source of Antioxidants; Antioxidants are substances that check/stop the process of cell damage caused by the production of free radicals. Free radicals are naturally occurring unstable molecules produced by the body during various functions like the release of energy for its regular daily activities. This powerful benefit can actually influence insulin sensitivity, in a positive manner, thus reducing the risk of Diabetes.
2. Certain research studies show that chocolate in the right amounts can aid heart health by boosting HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol), thereby reducing the risk of heart related disease.
Flavinoids in chocolate can stimulate the lining of arteries to produce Nitric oxide which sends a signal to the arteries to relax, thereby enhancing mood, providing a feeling of well being and helping to reduce blood pressure.
3. Chocolate has been known to enhance mood as it contains Caffeine(less than coffee) and Theobromine. Chocolate also contains coca, which is high in Tryptophan (amino acid). Tryptophan helps the brain to produce Serotonin (a feel-good chemical) and thus helps elevate mood.
4. Substantial research proves that chocolate reduces memory decline in older citizens. This is a breakthrough in ongoing research in the treatment and care of Alzheimer’s disease (Inability of the brain to perform optimally often linked with old age. If untreated can lead to severe cases of dementia). Chocolate has shown to improve cognitive functions in such individuals.
5. Chocolate with high cocoa content (75% to 85%) gives you almost all of your daily requirements of Copper and Magnesium and about 2/3rd the requirement of Iron. Not to mention generous amounts of Zinc, Selenium and Potassium.
Chocolate consumed with moderation has numerous health benefits. Research studies over the past few decades, have finally narrowed it down to the fact that chocolate does have multiple health benefits, when consumed in moderation. Chocolate ranks high on popularity charts and has a positive global demand. People of both genders, irrespective of age have known to relish chocolate as a treat, in various forms.
I wear a silly grin on my smug face as I relish my cube of chocolate, after all it’s a big High Five for the worlds tastiest, most popular treat of all times(now with multiple health benefits too!!!)